I’m radioactive

Wanted to wait till I got far enough into the treatment so I can report on how this ‘Fatigue’ (with a capital F) side effect is presenting itself…

Friday I went with Christine to Durham for my first Therasphere insertion, and I believe it went well. Got a pillow for my lower back and was permitted to listen to my music while the docs did their thing. 90 minutes later and I’m wheeled into a space about the size of my walk-in closet to chill out for the next 2 hours while the sedation wore off and the glass beads had a chance to settle into position. And then another 20-minute scan session, and then I was free to go.

Post-procedure definitely is worse – and longer – than the procedure itself. Coming down from mild sedation is a lot like trying to wake up after being hung over, not a pleasant experience but it does make the 2 hours go by faster as I alternate between being totally awake and dozing off. Sigh… one down, two more visits to go.

While getting this done on a Friday makes a lot of sense as far as recuperating goes, it does sort of trash the weekend, as I’ve been experiencing the ‘flu-like symptoms’ that I was told are part of the side effects, and it’s slowing me down during the 2 days when i want to get things done. It’s not so much Fatigue as much as a general achiness across my body, like when you exert yourself too much the day before and you can feel it the next day. I don’t think it’ll be a factor in deciding whether I should work from home tomorrow. Tylenol seems to knock out the pain if only temporarily. Like other side effects related to cancer treatments, I’m certain it would be a lot worse if I wasn’t so young and in (relative) good health.

What I like about this whole radioembolization concept is that it’s not wrecking the rest of my body, just the parts that need wrecking. So now I’m keeping my distance from the other family members and pets, lest they get unwanted radioactivity from my liver, for the next 2 weeks or so. After that, the Yttrium-90 will have finally wore out and the glass beads become inert. Then we get ready for another round. After experiencing the minimal side-effects, I’m up for the rest of it. I’m ready to go; let’s do this.

9 thoughts on “I’m radioactive”

  1. Eric, if anyone can ‘do this’ with a positive attitude – it is YOU! Thoughts and prayers are with you. Jo

  2. Well, one more thing to get through! And you’ll make it, just like all the rest. Sounds like it’s highly annoying and wearying — but not much worse than that, which is good news. Sending good energy. Try meditating post-procedure — that might make the 2 hours a bit more interesting!

  3. Good to hear all went well, and, as usual, your spirits are high. One down, two to go! Let’s kick this thing’s ass.

  4. We’re behind you all the way! I’m hoping we will be able to make it up to Raleigh again soon. Love to you and as always our prayers and positive vibes. ❤️

  5. Eric, you continue to wow us with your ‘go for it’ attitude and strength of mind………I love that about you! And, you’re going to come out on top!

  6. Sounds proactive and positive Eric, I hope you are feeling much better by now (Sunday), and you can make the most of the beautiful day! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *