Went to see my liver surgeon and the oncologist this afternoon and the results from the first round of chemo are just so encouraging that they decided to forgo surgery and schedule me for another round of six chemo infusions. Yay.
The thought is that i can continue shrinking these tumors to a point where my left half of my liver could be saved with minor surgery instead of going in today and taking the whole half out. There’s a big mass right beside an artery that runs through it which could be a lot easier to deal with if it were just that much smaller.
Seeing the print outs of my recent CT scan was a lot less scary than seeing my initial state back in September and comparing the two was very encouraging to say the least. So my recent CT scan got canceled as well as my upcoming consult with my colon surgeon, because I don’t need to see him quite yet. He’s already tattooed my colon where he needs to cut in case my ‘mothership’ disappears altogether, so he’s ready to come along for the ride whenever the liver surgeon is ready.
Initially I was bummed for not going under the knife sooner rather than later, but since I continue to drink chemo like it’s slightly dirty dishwater – and get roughly the same side effects – I am not discouraged at the prospect of having six more infusions before surgery commences.
My oncologist is going to throw another bag of chemo into the mix – guess I’m just not spending enough time in the clinic – so the treatment is going to get more aggressive but I can handle it. TCB in a flash, baby.
So I will have to look forward to surgery sometime in the spring. Cancer takes its time to die, I guess. I respect that.